Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Launch (Brisbane Remix)

SMOLY HOKES! MAXIMUM CHOPPAGE ROUND 2!!

The much anticipated launch of Rumble Picture's four year epic journey has finally been unveiled to the public and the response was enormous as celebrities and important community heads flocked to experience the premiere screening.

Seeing this for the first time myself, I had high expectations on the fight choreography and the overall finished product. Needless to say, this urban kung fu feature integrating comedy, drama and spectacular action scenes, did not disappoint. When you take into account that this feature was filmed on a regular Sony handycam with consumer level equipment, Rumble Pictures have created a project that's nothing short of inspirational to young movie makers and youths within the community.

For me, the action scenes definitely stood out and left the biggest mark on me. Being able to be involved with Timothy Ly on "Downtown Rumble" has really been a learning experience that will stay fresh in my mind for years to come. After seeing the finished product of MC2, I am finally able to see what Rumble Pictures as a group can accomplish.

The fight scene between Tim, Maria and her on screen brother (sorry, forgot his name), was probably the standout fight scene. It was the first real fight in the movie and it really hit HARD! Showing off the amazing abilities of Maria (she did a freakin' scorpion kick!), the "Lil Bro" and Tim, I was blown away by the fast paced action. Also adding a bit of humour to the fight (especially with the appearance of Rob da Fob), it really did set a high standard for the rest of the movie... I can tell you, they did not disappoint.

Introducing Roxy, as Tim's love interest, she pulls off a sassy girl whose stolen book sets up the main plot for the feature. Then, enter, Rob da Fob. He really was the standout character who just happened to pop up at the "right time, in the right place and in the right frame of mind"... that is, with girls on his mind. He really added a whole new dimension to MC2 as the comic relief who absolutely ZERO fight ability and "100% lub for you".

Another character who was introduce that gave me a bit of a laugh was Ali when Tim chases "Lil Bro". His expression was priceless as he throws his phone and shoe at the guys. The slow motion acting was also something I enjoyed... who ever said you need post-production special effects to do special effects?

The one thing that is often overlooked when it comes to the movie is the music. MC2 introduced songs by Israel, Just a Day, Envy Parade and more. Diversity and a nice selection of fast paced background tracks during the action scenes really added a feeling of completeness to the shot. Predominantly starring Australiasian youths, I really felt that the the music selection appealed to a much wider range of audiences with the mix of R'n'B, Hip Hop, Rock and softer ballads for the more romantic themed moments.

I thoroughly enjoyed the feature and am awaiting news for MC3!

Later in the night when the screening had finished, I got the chance to meet a lot of important people which was both interesting and eye opening. Rubbing shoulders with the likes of Young Australian of the Year 2005, Khoa Do, "Double the Fist" star, Craig Anderson, "Fat Pizza's" Serena Hunt, Martial arts film critic, Brian Walls, a cast of film and government/parliaments heads, I was truly swimming in a crowd of potential future contacts and resources.

Being able to meet Khoa Do was a surreal experience. After hearing and reading so much about him, being able to actually converse with him was something I just never expected. After giving me some inspiring words, I was more hyped up than ever!

When it comes to meeting people you always love to work with, you really can't go past Craig Anderson. He is possibly the most humble and fun person to work with. You wouldn't even know that he was a TV personality since he's just so damn nice. More on him on my next post :p

Maria introduced me to a few other people on the night (sorry, I really can't remember all the people I met) as I began interviewing and doing what documentary people should be doing. Speaking of which, StreeTV was also there doing interviews and documenting for their own purposes as well... they were my competition so I couldn't stay impressed for too long.

After the night was done, Julia, Maria, Tim and myself went out to have a victory dinner. Much deserved and an excellent job to Rumble Pictures and all the crew that was involved in both MC2 and the organisation of the launch night!

No comments: